So here I am with a quick round up of what I've been up to in the knitting and crochet world. This month I used 857g yarn and now I'm going to polish my halo because I haven't bought any yarn, nor have I acquired more by any other means 😇
I finished a cardigan that I had planned to make for myself with some King Cole Shades yarn which I bought ages ago. I think it might be discontinued now but this link is to Ravelry.
However, I didn't really like the way it looked when I started to make it as I realized that it looked like camouflage. Not really the look I was after.
This is the pattern I used but I added a moss stitch border at the bottom and the front edges as I hate having to pick up stitches to add a border at the end. I didn't include button holes as I just wanted it to be a buttonless jacket style but it didn't work out as I had wanted. Hey, you live and learn!
Also, even though I did a tension square - a very rare occurrence for me - the overall garment turned out to be a little too small. I have been dieting and lost some weight but I think I rather overestimated the effect it would have on my dimensions. I could keep it in the hope I will lose enough to get into it but given that I don't really like the camouflage look I think I'll just give it to charity. I'm sure it will fit someone better and they might even like it.
Unfortunately I bought a whole pack of this yarn, which was 10 x 100g balls, and the cardi only used 460g so I still have a lot left over; I think that's destined for children's jumpers, hats and scarves.
A couple of months ago my daughter in law gave me a ball of Rowan Big Wool, a super chunky yarn, and asked if I could make her husband / my son a hat.
The rest of the month was spent making more octopals for OFAPUK . I've been trying out a variety of their approved patterns so you will see crocheted octopuses, crocheted jellyfish, crocheted flat jellyfish and garter stitch octopuses with crocheted tentacles because the knitted ones are just sooo hard to do.
The knitted ones were a real challenge as they have to be made using DK cotton with 2mm needles - I used my new Knitpro Zing straights which worked well but still bent a little due to the tight tension. I had to learn how to do German Short Rows in order to make these, which was a new technique for me. However, with a lot of support from some of the lovely members of OFAPUK I'm thrilled to be able to say that all of mine passed and will be swimming their way to preemies :-)
I'm also part way through making a large blanket for refugees, using multiple strands of coned yarn, but I'm only about a third through it so hopefully I will finish in time for next month's round up.